Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Reports


Doctors have always been appreciated for the numerous qualities they acquire in addition to knowing the cure for deadly diseases. They are the race that keeps the human breed alive due to timely action and complicated concoctions of. medicines and drugs. They are probably adding the extra ten years to your lifeline when you thought all was done. Your heart that was greased with generous amounts of fat from your regular dose of hamburgers for lunch was saved because a cardiologist learned how to mend it. When you thought giving birth was going to kill you, the gynecologist learned how to calm you down and give you the life you created.
Such Is the magnanimity of these souls. They have little scope for any personal life. Patients, emergencies, treating people have become ingrained in their lives that their joy arises from serving that need.
I held them in the highest pedestal only for that to come crumbling down later.
It was my a routine visit to a doctor for a master health checkup. My insurance mandated me to go through a routine checkup to understand if something new had cropped up and if they could get me to shell a few extra bucks in the guise of additional coverage.I sat on the metal chair in a hospital reeking of disinfectant while nurses in white traipsed around me in carrying bottles and surgical equipment. There were worried people on the chair,some listless and some waiting for their turn while a nurse read out their names from a screen flashing our token IDS. The atmosphere was suffocating. In general, hospitals don’t give out a good vibe. I’m sure a lot of people feel otherwise. But for me, unless mandated, I hated stepping into this phenyl infused white nurses floating around the scenario.
I waited uncomplainingly for my name to be called out. It was a long wait. Normally I hate how my name sounds when called by people, but now that was nectar to my ears.
I wanted to feel a little relaxed because the lists on my test sounded tarrying and a strong will was not exactly was my strongest point. I smiled weakly at my poor pun and sauntered into the waiting room. The doctor was at her desk peering to her screen with a grim expression. She almost barked at me for coming inside without knocking. I stood there waiting for her to at least look at my face and ask me to sit down. But she continued to type furiously on her fancy keyboard adjusting her glasses. The room reminded me of a graveyard. The air was chilly, the person looked grim ready to take out whatever scrap of life and hope you had left in you, the walls were bare with no splash of color or quotes. The bed was pristine with cold sheets swaying to the eerie blast of air. There was just a tiny ventilation vent all the way up to the roof, allowing a stream of barely any sunlight. A stream of the blue from the screen was all I could add into this petrifying room and my own blues. I stood there shivering from the cold and the vibes.
“Why have you not sat down? Not like your manners need any awards. “She muttered under her breath obviously agitated with me
I was startled, didn’t catch most of what she said and gave her the look of someone who was lost.
She glared at me with almost burning my face in the process and beckoned me to sit.
“Do you have any symptoms? “She asked me.
I was clueless. I had my blood drawn out, the ECG machines flaps stuck on me, given my body every needle prick, glue, gel it needed to be certified as healthy. I was here to discuss the results of those. She probably had access to those now. Was something wrong? My palms were clammy with sweat.
The doctor was losing it with me.”Do you not understand a word woman? Or are you deaf? “She snarled at me.
Whatever happened to people skills and understanding the emotions of your patients. Clearly, she was not cut out for that.
She had her eyebrows raised still expecting an answer.
Ï do a mandatory health checkup just so that I know if something could be wrong “I managed to say.
“So, now hospitals have become a joke? With no symptoms, you gallivanted in here to find out if something was wrong? Do you want it to be ?” she almost bit my head off
Ït is for my insurance. They do this thing where began
Ï know how it works”. She cut me short and typed a few furious lines .
I could hear the printer churn.
Those were my reports.
She grabbed they circled a few columns and said, “These are your numbers. Turns out you do need additional insurance, you are pregnant”
I was flabbergasted. Me? I was pregnant? Hell, I was not even married.
“Well I’m not married and..”
“So? I do not think you need me to explain biology to you”
“Well, can you check again? Ï asked her my fear towering over my meek personality.
Ï know a pregnancy report when I see one “She said her eyes cold and dangerously shimmering. It gave me a weird feeling.
I took the reports gashed with the thick lines of her marker. I looked at it carefully.
I sighed in relief and walked toward the door. Humanity in humans was slowly depleting.
If loneliness was a choice, making people miserable from it was even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ocean in a bowl

I have always pondered over aquariums. The transparent surface, the glossy exterior and the clear waters. The bottom is covered with a lay...