Wednesday, July 24, 2019

I wish

I wish I could be a mother cradling my child in my arms. Coax him so that he does not cry.
Occasionally treat him to ice cream. Buy him his favourite toy when he gets his vaccination. Make him soup when he has a cold. Take care of him as an angel would

I wish I could be the boyfriend of the pretty girl who travelled by this metro every day at 9 am. High heels, coloured lips and a fruity perfume. The clickety-clack of her heels, the swish of her hair, perfectly manicured nails made me sigh in admiration at her. I wish I could buy her flowers and look into her eyes. Yet, before my thought cloud was formed, it dissolved into dust.

I wish I could be a software developer. I can wear big glasses with a thick frame. Sport a short hairdo. Keep it casual with a worn-down T-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans.
Carry a bag with a laptop. My work desk would have code scribbled in every book. I would have a big mug of coffee to alleviate my stress.

I wish I were a stylist. I could dress up celebrities like they were my dolls. I could give them fancy clothes, elaborate makeup and extensive embellishments. I would hover around them adjusting their hair, fixing their lipsticks or tucking in their saris. It would be a world of glamour.

I wish I were the bride of an elaborate wedding. Decked in jewels and a heavy sari, I would be blushing at the sight of my man. I would gracefully smile at all the pictures, be the centre of attention for a day. I would then leave my home with mixed emotions. Trepidation and joy both balancing each other on a fragile scale

I wish I were a child.
 I would have run across the park without worry.
Swung till the highest point and oscillate back with bated breath. Built sandcastles and decorated it with shells.
Eschew a rupee from my mother and buy candy.
Dig my nails into the mud looking for treasures. Give different answers each time someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.


I wish I were now back to reality where I’m an artist.
Not one of these people pauses on their way to enjoy life as it is.
Wishing for something better to turn up. I stood at the metro imagining my life as each of these characters.
I wanted a picture to frame.
To represent life as we see it.
All I could draw were colourful swishes on a white canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ocean in a bowl

I have always pondered over aquariums. The transparent surface, the glossy exterior and the clear waters. The bottom is covered with a lay...